A few days ago I "teased" an upcoming story on cleaning fairies. Since I have been playfully chastised (and rightly so) for not posting as promised, here is the overdue, true story of our visit from the cleaning fairies.
Wednesday night when I came home from work, Jason & I were busy taking care of Kensie and unpacking our stuff from work. Nothing seemed unusual... yet. Upon learning that I would not object to him spending birthday money on a 2nd Guitar Hero game, he jetted out of the house faster than an Indy driver on his way to Circuit City. Mackensie and I went upstairs to her nursery, and I noticed a blanket, which had been thrown on the floor that morning, was up on the changing table. Hmm, I guess Jason had come upstairs for something before leaving and picked it up. That was unusual, and nice of him. Then as I sat with Kensie, I noticed vacuum marks on the floor of the nursery. Jason had only gotten home 15 minutes before me, and he had squeezed in a quick vaccuum? WOW!!! I made a mental note to thank him when he got home.
Then I went into my bedroom. The bed was made. The carpet was vacuumed. Did Jason get home earlier than usual?
My bedroom furniture was dusted. Our bathroom was clean. I called Jason. I wanted to ask "Who are you, and what have you done with my husband?" But instead, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and asked had he gotten home earlier than usual. (Cause all us women know ain't no man gonna get all that housework done in 15 minutes, especially w/out being asked!)
When Jason said, no, he had gotten home at his usual time, I knew. My fondest dreams had come true! I've always wished for the day when cleaning fairies would break into my home and clean it for me. It's happened!!!!!!
As I walked around my house, paying close attention, I realized... there was still clutter, but all around and under the clutter was clean. There were no germs in the bathrooms, no crumbs on the floor, no dust on the shelves. Giddy with excitement, I just took a moment to savor the niceness of it all.
Then I called my mom.
You see, earlier in the week, I had been lamenting to my mom how stressed I felt. (Who listens and understands better than a Mom?) I explained that between work, housework, and the baby, Jason & I had no time to enjoy life. In addition, I enjoy neatness and cleanliness, and the lack thereof in our townhome was beginning to really stress me out. We were seriously considering hiring someone to come in twice a month for light housework.
Do you see where this story is going?
My sweet mom, dad, and brother, who already spend 3 full days a week taking care of the baby, decided they wanted to bless us even further. So they broke into our house (with a key) and cleaned from top to bottom. To quote my mom: "Why should you pay someone to come clean for you when we can hop over and have it all done in an hour and a half?" Like cleaning someone else's house is something you do every day.
That is reason #234 why I love my family. They see a need, and they think nothing of going out of their way to fill it.
Because of their generosity, I have had one of the BEST. WEEKENDS. EVER. We went to a surprise birthday party for a friend last night, and instead of rushing out, we stayed and savored every moment. I even picked up the mic for Rock Star, I was so relaxed. Today, we enjoyed a leisurely lunch w/Jason's brother and sisters, then went to his nephew's for a BBQ. I was relaxed. Tomorrow, we have plans to play games, eat cake, and have dinner with my parents to celebrate Jason's b-day. I will be relaxed.
To steal a line from an Oscar acceptance speech: "None of this would have been possible without the love and support of my family. Thank you Mom, Dad, and Michael!"

3 comments:
Hearing you are "relaxed & less stressed out", and that you & Jason have had such a nice weekend, makes every minute of the cleaning worthwhile! Your love & appreciation makes it all heart warming!! Thank-you:)
Much love,
Mom
I knew cleaning fairies existed!!! Now I just have to figure out how to get the key to my house to them ;)
love,
Aunt T
Your family is so sweet! I'm so glad that you had a nice and relaxful weekend because of the cleaning faries!
Elyse
Post a Comment