Thursday, June 17, 2010

This is Bananas!

This morning I tried my hand again at banana muffins. A few of you that know me well may recall that over the past 15 years, my rare attempts to bake banana bread or muffins have fallen flat. Actually, fallen would be generous, because that would indicate that that bread and/or muffins had ever risen to begin with.

I remember once, when I still lived at home, that I baked a loaf of banana bread for over 2 hours, and it was still a soupy, doughy mess. We checked it at the hour mark, peeled off a thin layer of burnt (black) bread, to find soup underneath. I kid you not. My mom and I remain stumped to this day as to what in the world I could have done wrong.

Any-who, fast forward to today. I am a wife, a mother, a homeowner, an employee.... all those things sound pretty responsible, right? If I can be fully responsible for another human life, surely I can coax a few ingredients into forming tasty muffins, right?

I enlisted Kensie's help. It's the first time I've ever asked her to help me in the kitchen, and she loved it. We pulled a chair up to the counter, and she dumped all the ingredients into the bowl and helped me mix. She really is a wonderful chef's assistant.

After the dough was mixed came the important part. I taught Kensie about what's really important in baking - licking the spatula, bowl, and beaters. It was a great treat for her.

So how did the muffins turn out? I realized after mixing everything that I had forgotten to add the sugar. Then I realized that we had no sugar. (Hey, I never claimed to be Martha, okay?!?!) I actually just dumped some honey in, said a quick prayer, and hoped for the best. And you know what? Not only are they edible, they are actually quite tasty! =)

As you can see, Kensie is quite proud of her first baking effort. She's taking all the credit. She's entitled.

I am sure you noticed the naked muffins and wondered, sadly, why they had no pecans. Can you believe I married a man that doesn't like pecans? Sacreligious, I know. But I'll let you in on a secret - since Jason won't eat pecans, that means I don't have to share. That's why I love him. xo

And that, ladies and gents, is a wrap!

No comments: