Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Love

As you probably know, Mackensie's middle name is Love. This name wasn't chosen just because it is different, just because it is unique and sounds good (in my own opinion!). The name Love has so much meaning, so much hope behind it, and today on the way home I heard a wonderful new song on the radio that put into words how I have been feeling lately.

Before I post the lyrics, please allow me to share with you why love is so special to me. Did you know that there are many different kinds of love? Eros, the romantic love, is surely important. Where would I be without the devoted love of my husband? Philia, the love of friends, is a wonderful love, and is the basis of many special relationships in my life. Storge, or affection, is fondness through familiarity, and binds me to many people who are family by design but friends by choice. But Agape love, my friends, is my favorite love. It is not held hostage by its environment or someone's perception. It is based upon the decision to proactively seek someone's well being. It is not a human love, but rather a love given to us as a fruit of the spirit. This is the love we know from our brothers and sisters in Christ; the love we receive from our Heavenly Father.

I LOVE my daughter. I want to champion her success, kiss away boo-boos, wipe tears from her eyes, rock her to sleep, share funny stories and butterfly kisses as we snuggle before bedtime. I want to shield her from the evil in the world, from hurt she is bound to suffer, from disappointments and failures. As much as I want to be everything in her young life, I am only human. To a mother, love is limitless, boundless, and endless. But a mother is human, and eventually the day will come when she will disappoint her child.

Because of our own frailty, it is ever so important that we accept God's love for us, a love that was shared through the death of his Son, Jesus Christ. I am awed by God's mercy and grace, by knowing that He is a just and holy God, yet forgiving to those who repent. But most of all, I am touched by His love. Love that will never, ever fail. Love that knows no bounds. Love that accepts me for who I am, in spite of what I am, and because of what I am. Love that wraps me and holds me when I ache from earthly sadness, love that stands beside me when I am afraid.

Although I cannot offer this love to Mackensie myself, it is my prayer that as her Mommy, I can share God's love with Mackensie so that it becomes a real, true, breathing force in her life. I need for her to realize that though my own shortcomings may fail her (oh, I wish they wouldn't but it's bound to happen) she can lean on a Father who will never leave or forsake her, who will always comfort and protect her. This is the unconditional love I most hope to share.

This song is so touching for me, because while it describes God's love for us, His children, it also depicts the love that I feel in my heart for my daughter.


Brandon Heath
Love Never Fails
~
Love is not proud
Love does not boast
Love after all
Matters the most
~
Love does not run
Love does not hide
Love does not keep
Locked inside
~
Love is the river that flows through
Love never fails you
~
Love will sustain
Love will provide
Love will not cease
At the end of time
~

Love will protect

Love always hopes
Love still believes
When you don't
~
Love is the arms that are holding you
Love never fails you
~
When my heart won't make a sound
When I can't turn back around
When the sky is falling down
Nothing is greater than this
Greater than this
~
Love is right here
Love is alive
Love is the way
The truth the life
~
Love is the river that flows through
Love is the arms that are holding you
Love is the place you will fly to
Love never fails you
~

3 comments:

Amy Rogers said...

what a great post! I loved it :)

Unknown said...

I agree with Amy! You have such a way with words Beth and you are such an inspiration to me. Loved your post! Absolutely Lovely :)

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, I can't put into words how beautiful your post was on Love. And, the song is just beautiful, too! You are such a wonderful sister-in-law. I'm so happy my brother met you. You are a great Mommy to MacKensie, too. And, I'm so looking forward to sharing love with another niece or nephew soon to be here. God is love and His love shines through you.
Love ya, Debbie 2-15-2010